At St. Catherine's Primary School, we believe PE and Sport plays an important role in making our vision statement (Let your Light Shine) a reality for every pupil, with the potential to change young people’s lives for the better. The PE and Sport Premium is designed to help children get an active start in life, supporting primary schools to improve the quality of their PE and sport provision so that pupils experience the benefits of regular exercise – from becoming healthier both mentally and physically to improved behaviour and better academic achievement.
We are committed to using this resource in developing high quality PE lessons, alongside greater opportunities for sporting competitions and clubs for all children.
What is the Sports Premium?
The government provides schools with additional funding to support the delivery and development of sporting activity in schools. The funding is being jointly provided by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport, and will see money going directly to primary schools to spend on improving the quality of sport and PE for all their children.
It can be used as follows:
- hire qualified sports coaches to work with teachers
- provide existing staff with training or resources to help them teach PE and sport more effectively
- introduce new sports or activities and encourage more pupils to take up sport
- support and involve the least active children by running or extending school sports clubs, holiday clubs and Change4Life clubs
- run sport competitions
- increase pupils’ participation in the School Games
- run sports activities with other schools.